Why should I hire a professional?
Although the excitement of new clues and finding information can be intoxicating, it can also be overwhelming. There are many hobbyists that can complete their genealogy research without assistance. More frequently though, people hit brick walls and due to geographic limitations, inexperience, fixed incomes, or other limitations, some researchers need help. Sometimes it is just too difficult to sort through it all. Getting advice or assistance from someone experienced in a certain area can help you sort through all the Toms and Johns and Oles.
Hiring the Professional
(from the Association for Professional Genealogist (APG) )
- Contact one or more professionals
- note their credentials, experience, fees, and services. Evaluate their experience related to your particular problem.
- Inform the professional about your goals and specify your expectations.
State limitations clearly, before you engage professional services. Be sure that you and the professional agree about what will be done.
- Ask about fees and out-of-pocket expenses.
The majority of professionals charge $30-$60 per hour, although fees can range from $10-$100 per hour. Expect to pay a retainer in advance.
- Communicate everything you already know to your professional.
That is the only way to insure that he/she doesn't duplicate what you've already done.